Where in the world is Trail Talks?

Saturday, January 5, 2019

The time Monica disappeared in New Zealand

It was New Years Eve. Monica and I both had our respective many drinks in our respective countries. We exchanged a few texts, something along the lines of "I am getting roaring drunk"- Monica and "sorry I was too drunk"-Evin. That was our last exchange before I figured that the only explination was a strange disappearance. Now it is January 2, It is Monicas Birthday in New Zealand (because she lives in the future). I send her a Birthday text, then 2, and 3...4... No response. So obviously I come to the conclusion that something has gone terribly wrong. It hadn't been more than 48 hours, the legal amount of time that someone has been to be missing before its recognized as a missing person. But of course I know best and I feel in my core that something is wrong. My best friend has disappeared.

I decide to cover all my bases. Maybe her phone wasn't working, was flushed down a toilet or taken by a Kiwi (the bird). So I blew her up on all forms of social media. No response. I am sure now that something terrible happened on New Years, she was either in a ditch somewhere, locked in a basement or maybe ended up in a strange town. No response on other platforms either. It is Now Thursday January 4 ( for me , and the 5th for Monica). I decide to take the next step. I looked up the camp she is staying at and tried to call. Forget the international call fee, my friend is in trouble! And I was certain. The first time I called I got no answer. So of course I e-mailed them, explaining the situation and that I needed a response stat. I was to anxious and couldn't wait, I called again. This time someone said hello, I quickly described the situation. Apparently a lot of people are at the camp and so it was hard for this man to picture Monica. She has beautiful eyes, great biceps, is a wicked climber and is hilarious I said. She also currently has a chipped tooth, and it clicked. "Ohhhh yes Monica!, I saw her the other day", he said. I unclenched finally. He said he would let her know I called when he saw her. Apparently he rushed all over the camp looking for her, finally someone who understood my worry.

At last I receive a message on Facebook from my dear Monica. Apparently my texts did not go through and she was camping out of service. The logical scenario was the correct one, who would have thought. Clearly not me. I understand that my thought process wasn't all that rational. But how would you react if you were certain your Best friend was laying in a ditch... Thats what I thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment